[Lazarus] New version of WebDesign available

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Wed Mar 17 14:34:04 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 14:15 +0100, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 03/17/2010 01:32 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> > It cannot use a TTimer, since TTimer presupposes a GUI and an X server.
>
> That is what I did expect.
>
> > It can use a TFPTimer, which does not suppose
> > a GUI and X server.
>
> Sounds good. So it might have an event queue.

It doesn't need to. It has a web-server, which queues all requests, and
sends them one-by-one to the fcgi application. (If you configure it
right)

> Maybe fastCGI Application in fact implements the NoGUIApplication that I
> need and I can use it, even if I will not do a CGI. Perhaps just the
> name is confusing...

No, it implements a fastCGI application. You can not use it for what you
want. Otoh, what you want is not necessary to build a persistent
web-application. That can be done much easier. (As is done in the
fastCgi application)

> My intention is to create a "toolbox" that allows to convert free
> running (embedded) "normal" applications to not needing the GTK binding
> (after having stripped them from the user interface). But they still do
> need things like Timers, TCP/IP communication, serial interfaces,
> threads (with "synchronize" and "postmessage" / "procedure...message")

Well, the fcl-web applications do not support timers, TCP/IP, serial
interfases and postmessage functionality.

So you cannot use it for anything you want, would be my guess.

You can use the same mechanism as is used by the TWebApplication,
though. Build your own TApplication descendent, which does all this. But
I thought that was precisely what you are working on?

Joost.