[Lazarus] RFC: TBarChart deprecation

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 17:11:23 CET 2010

waldo kitty schrieb:

>> Another problem: how can a user rebuild Lazarus, when it has been
>> installed into /usr where the user has not enough rights.
>
> if this has been done, then it indicates that root installed Laz/FPC...
> that means that root has to do the rebuild, not the user(s)...

This is how Lazarus is installed by default (distributed packages). This
may be okay for multi-user systems with a skilled administrator, but not
necessarily for the average user at home. All my current considerations
are about users (like me) without an skilled system administrator.

> if they need to be able to rebuild Laz/FPC, they need to install it into
> their home directory for the necessary rights to be active...

This requirement should be documented, including how to accomplish it.
The documentation could be restricted to how to use the repository, when
  Lazarus ever has to be rebuilt after the first installation - if
that's the simplest way.

> yes, i see what you are saying, though... the packages are configured to
> install to a central location for all to use and that means that they
> cannot to the rebuild... but they should not have to do any rebuild
> since the package should be stable... plus they are fully loaded with
> all the goodies and debug capabilities... this should them the ability
> to test and work with Laz/FPC...

Remember that installing packages requires to rebuild Lazarus, so that a
private installation might be preferable as the default. While this is
not complicated for itself, it should be nice and easy to perform the
move from the original distribution to a private build.

> /if/ they later reach a point where they need to be able to rebuild
> Laz/FPC or be able to compile for other platforms and such, _then_ they
> would install from the sources/SVN to their *home* directory and wade on
> into the really deep end of the pool... IIUC, they would only need to
> edit a couple of Laz/FPC specific files to change some directory entries
> to point at the new installation location in their home directory but
> that shouldn't be hard to do...

It's not so hard for the second time, but for the first time it is.
Perhaps I see too many problems, I'll have to check the actual
procedures myself again.

DoDi