[Lazarus] IDE search path for include file causes IDE hang

Mattias Gärtner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Mar 24 14:50:58 CET 2010

Zitat von Andrew Brunner <andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:04 AM, Mattias Gaertner
> <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:04:36 -0500
>> Andrew Brunner <andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The error message is displayed on the terminal or from gdb then the
> hang happens.
>
>> What do you mean with "locking up"?
>
> The system goes unresponsive.  I get a force quit prompt by Ubuntu.

Sounds like an endless loop.
Normally you can start the IDE in gdb, and when it happens, switch to
the terminal, where you started gdb and press Ctrl+C to pause the IDE.
Then create a backtrace.

>> Can you create a backtrace?
>
> All I see is the include file not being found (but the path is in the
> search paths for IDE and the actual include is added to the project)

I guess the unit belongs to your project, right?
(that means: not to a package)

Make sure,
1. the unit directory is in the "Other unit files" (Compiler Options /
Paths). Check for the right upper/lowercase.
2. the directory of the include file is in the "Include Files"
(Compiler Options / Paths). Check for the right upper/lowercase.
3. The include directive has the right case of upper/lower letters OR
the include file is lower case on disk.
4. If the include file has the ending .inc this must be added to the
include directive as well.

> error message and all Lazarus windows freeze.  I can't bt at that
> point either.
>
> It's only when I answer "Force Quit" to close IDE do I see responses
> to by bt or backtrace entries in the terminal for GDB.  Meaning GDB
> can't backtrace b/c the program hang.  And when I close the program -
> gdb says no stack.
>
>> Can you reproduce the error in a small project?
>
> I can reproduce the error in the small project but I can't get the
> small project to hang the IDE.

Can you send me a reduced version in private mail?

>> How can I reproduce the error?
>
> I will have to re-do a small project.  I did one but didn't send it
> (but I tried to re-install Linux and lost that sample project).

Thanks.

>>> ### TCodeToolManager.HandleException: "include file not found
>>> "RSRBuilder.inc"" at Line=16 Col=28 in
>>> "/home/atbrunner/Developer/Source/Libraries/uAppBuild.pas"
>>

>> An include file was not found. It is as serious as a syntax error.
>> I doubt that it has something to do with "locking up".
>
> RSRBuilder.inc was added in the project.  As was the folder it resides
> added to the Project's IDE paths.
>
>>> At first I just added the path to the IDE includes for this project.
>>> But finally I decided to try to add the actual inc file to the
>>> project.  This error still appears right before the IDE goes
>>> unresponsive.
>>
>> Do you mean completely or some functions don't work?
>
> The entire GUI and all forms/windows go white.

Mattias