[Lazarus] debugger crashing on OS X

John Stoneham captnjameskirk at gmail.com
Sat May 1 19:31:28 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 8:15 PM, John Stoneham <captnjameskirk at gmail.com>wrote:

> (gdb)
>

>>> <-break-insert -t *70668>
>>>
>>> ^done,bkpt={number="1",type="breakpoint",disp="del",enabled="y",addr="0x0001140c",file="project1.lpr",line="19",shlib="/Users/obijohn/projects/fpc/testprojects/project1/project1.app/Contents/MacOS/project1",times="0"},time={wallclock="0.00049",user="0.00019",system="0.00031",start="1272660732.361100",end="1272660732.361595"}
>>> (gdb)
>>> <ptype TObject>
>>> &"ptype TObject\n"
>>>

>> is this really the last line ? Till here all communications with gdb are
>> OK. There should be 3 more breakpoints and a exec-run or somthing following.
>>
>> Marc
>>

> Yes, that is really the last line. There is no further output in the
> window. However, if I run "startlazarus" from the command-line, there is a
> tiny bit more, plus showing when i tried to stop the debugger (the first
> line here corresponds with the last line in the debug output window):
>
> [Debugger] Log output: &"ptype TObject\n"
> [WARNING] Debugger: Execution of external command "-data-evaluate-expression %s" while queue exists
>

> TDebugger.ReqCmd failed: Evaluate
> TDebugger.ReqCmd Command not supported: Stop ClassName=TGDBMIDebugger
> TDebugger.Stop Class=TGDBMIDebugger failed.
>

> And that's all.

A bit more testing and it seems this definitely has something to do with the
interface to gdb used by Lazarus. Running gdb on the command line, I can
load the project, set breakpoints and watches, step... everything basic
seems to work. Which is fine, but this really just turns Lazarus into an
editor. Without the ability to debug, it's not an IDE anymore.

I'll be happy to help however I can to get this fixed, but someone needs to
tell me what to do from here.