[Lazarus] Lazarus make me create better apps

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu May 6 11:41:03 CEST 2010

On Thu, 6 May 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

>> There are more things to Lazarus than just the editor, and it seems to
>> me that people are forgetting this, taking many things for granted.
>
> I definitely don't take the features for granted in Lazurus IDE.  The
> fpGUI project taught me a lot.  As I said, I needed to start
> somewhere. Managing a project and various build modes was the first
> thing on my list. To get that working without version control systems
> detecting project file changes the whole time (when switching
> platforms), I had to implement Macro support too. A simple
> step-by-step process to get to a end result.

A word of advice: make your editor multi-project enabled from the start.
The project manager should be able to show multiple projects at once.
For my part, this is the major missing thing in Lazarus.

>> The hard things are - Code tools. The code tools in Lazarus are HUGE.
>
> ...and the reason I asked about the fcl-passrc parser in recent posts.

I guessed as much.

>> - Extended designer. The fpGUI designer is rudimentary.
>
> ...simplicity by design. This allows it to do one thing and one thing
> well. I hate software that tries to be too clever. Code Completion in
> the Lazarus IDE is already stepping on my toes in some cases (and I
> believe on yours too based on your posts is the past), and I have to
> keep disabling those new "features" because they keep getting in the
> way.  Simplicity is also a design. :)

Here I must agree.

To my taste, the code tools got much worse lately; They were optimal about
2 years ago. The latest indenting/formatting features have almost caused me
to go back to using joe for editing, because there is no way to disable them
completely, causing more damage and anger than helping me code efficiently :/

Michael.