[Lazarus] Lazarus make me create better apps

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 6 12:11:40 CEST 2010

On 6 May 2010 11:41, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> A word of advice: make your editor multi-project enabled from the start.
> The project manager should be able to show multiple projects at once.
> For my part, this is the major missing thing in Lazarus.

You mean like Delphi and Kylix has - Project Groups?  Not sure if this
is exactly what you meant, but Project Groups are definitely on my IDE
todo list. Our company's main product exists of 7 separate projects
all working together, and I would like to work on all of them easily
in the IDE, and do a "build all projects" command. This will save me
lots of time on release builds.

Another sought after feature for me is pre|post commands when doing a
Build. Yes Lazarus IDE has it, but only one command per pre|post task,
and it doesn't work in a cross platform way. For example: I generate
before a build a new version.inc file, clear old *.ppu units etc.
After the build, I update the translation files etc.  I use
pre_build.sh and post_build.sh scripts to allow multiple tasks, but as
soon as I switch to Windows, Windows can't execute *.sh scripts and
fails to do a build. So I have to disable those functions, which in
turn modifies the project *.lpi file which I need to undo when I
switch back to Linux again. A damn pain, and not consistent behavior
between platforms.

> To my taste, the code tools got much worse lately; They were optimal about
> 2 years ago. The latest indenting/formatting features have almost caused me
> to go back to using joe for editing, because there is no way to disable them
> completely, causing more damage and anger than helping me code efficiently

+1

  - Graeme -