[Lazarus] Lazarus make me create better apps

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Fri May 7 21:10:57 CEST 2010

Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org>:

> Correct. I dropped ExtPascal. I don't think it is the way to go:
> You still need know too much Javascript to be able to use it,
> and the project has some basic design flaws, which Wanderlan is
> unable/unwilling to fix.

I agree about some design flaws.
I thought you would create a fork of this projetc  :)

> So now:
> - FastCGI (or whatever you feel comfortable with) for the server using FPC.
>  I will be donating extra code for this to fcl-web in the next months.
> - Javascript (ExtJS) for the client.

This is I want too.

Leonardo M. <l.rame at griensu.com>:

> I use PWU for an CGI based web Control Panel application, in charge of
> CRUD and Config tasks for a legacy PHP app, and it works pretty nice.
> The server is a simple Linux-Apache-Mysql-PHP shared host, so I just
> have to replace my CGI in /cgi-bin directory every time I update the
> program.

Hi Leonardo, do you also participate of ExtPascal's list, right?
Thanks for your example... do you continue using ExtPascal?

Lee Jenkins <lee at datatrakpos.com> wrote:

> Can anyone in the know, comment on this?  I've been using FPC for a couple
> of threaded TCP server applications since 2005 and haven't had any problems.
> Though admittedly, they are not what I'd call high traffic in terms of
> concurrent connections.
>
> I'm working on a project now where I expect to have some fairly higher
> concurrent connections (maybe 300-600) so I hope (and assume) all is well
> for threaded apps on Linux servers :-)

Do you use CGI or FastCGI? What libs/frameworks?

Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. The same project (library) had various sames: PSP (Pascal Server
> Pages), Powtils, PWU etc. I don't actually know what is the official
> name any more.  Go figure.  :)

OK. What about the oficial site and sources, could you like tell?

> Those are very basic apps. Our company web apps to much more complex
> things and UI. Michael's web app was also very impressive (he gave me
> a sneak preview once).

Show for us too! :)

Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Same here. We use threaded apps (web and desktop) under Linux without
> problems. So I don't really know what issues they are referring to.

But do you use  threaded apps with CGI?
I think would use threads in FasCGI apps. if each CGI is a request for
one to one, then why use threads?

2010/5/7 Leonardo M. <l.rame at griensu.com>:

> That's why I preffer not to work with software outsourcing customers,
> they allways try to force you to use the "buzzword of the day" instead
> of looking for a solution to a problem. On the other hand, is a pleasure
> to work with companies that sees value in small, fast and robust
> applications made in Delphi/FPC.

I agree with you.
I always think to be my own boss and open a company... and use my
favorite tools... but this is a large step for now  :)

Thanks all... let's continue!

Marcos Douglas