[Lazarus] Suggestion: Remove GTK1 support from IDE and LCL.

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat May 15 11:31:33 CEST 2010

On Sat, 15 May 2010 00:52:04 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 May 2010 00:50, Juha Manninen wrote:
> > advanced features and then you must update. If it takes few years then Lazarus
> > will be much better and GTK2 is already replaced with something better, so you
> > can skip it. :-)
>
> Hopefully Lazarus would have reached v1.0 by then. :-)
>
> What I find strange though is that GTK2 is now at 2.30 (I think), yet
> Lazarus developers (and users) are still talking about *not* bumping
> the lowest supported GTK2 from 2.6 (I think) to something newer.

It would be good to provide a second gtk2 binding which supports
dynamic linking for newer functions. Then the lcl gtk2 interface could
use newer functions.

> 2.6 -> 2.30 is a lifetime apart! Surely it's time Lazarus starts
> taking advantage of GTK2 features that have appear in the last 5+
> years of GTK2 development? LCL-Qt was very quickly bumped from Qt v3
> to Qt v4, so why not GTK2?

Speaking for myself: I got problems running qt-lcl on all computers.
LCL should at least run on two year old systems. Better some more
years.

> [um, maybe I should restrain myself from posting to the Lazarus
> mailing list again - I'm asking way to many questions. <wink>]

Mattias