[Lazarus] Suggestion: Remove GTK1 support from IDE and LCL.

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Sat May 15 12:24:52 CEST 2010

On Saturday 15 May 2010 11:06, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 15 May 2010 10:49, Vincent Snijders <vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl> wrote:
> > not holding back, but making sure it still works. 2.18 or 2.20 works but
> > 2.6 too, or rather 2.8, because that is the currently oldest supported
> > version,
>
> OK, so you guys are only 12 versions behind. :-)
>
> PS:
>   I see I kept typing GTK 2.30 when I meant GTK 2.20 being the latest

Ok, imagine company which uses lazarus for commercial apps (like mine and
yours) and that apps relies on gtk2.
1.We bump to 2.20 , so some new functions comes in, structures changed etc...
2.You compile your app with such 2.20 and wire update to customer.
3.Customer uses Fedora 4 which is based on 2.12
What will happen in this case ?
a) Your application won't work
b) It'll work out of the box

if a), you have to:  update customer OS (or gtk2 if you can, but I doubt about
it in case of Fedora 4 as example).

In one word - you get mess and we get gazillion of complains on mailing list.

IMO, 2.6 is too low maybe, but maybe gtk2 should be updated to max 2.10,
or release 0.9.28.3 with all regressions and bugs fixed in 0.9.28.2 and note
that's last version which supports 2.6 and bump laz 1.0 to at least 2.12.

zeljko