[Lazarus] Suggestion: Remove GTK1 support from IDE and LCL.

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 15 12:37:08 CEST 2010

On 15 May 2010 12:24, zeljko wrote:

> Ok, imagine company which uses lazarus for commercial apps (like mine and
> yours) and that apps relies on gtk2.
> 1.We bump to 2.20 , so some new functions comes in, structures changed etc...

I don't mean that LCL-GTK2 should be bumped immediately to GTK 2.20 -
that version of GTK+ is too new (only release a month ago). But
something like Felipe mentioned 2.12 will already be a good start, and
that allows for some code clean-up (which what I heard from other
developers here is really needed in LCL-GTKx backend). Mattias
suggestion of a totally new implementation of LCL-GTK2 is maybe even a
better idea - use what was learned from the last 10 years and design a
better maintainable LCL-GTK2.

> What will happen in this case ?
> a) Your application won't work
> b) It'll work out of the box

I don't have this problem. fpGUI runs on distros as old as 10 years
(from my last tests) without limiting any fpGUI features.  :-)

> IMO, 2.6 is too low maybe, but maybe gtk2 should be updated to max 2.10,
> or release 0.9.28.3 with all regressions and bugs fixed in 0.9.28.2 and note

I think Felipe had a very good idea. Bump LCL-GTK2 to 2.12 and make
that the default minimum in code. Then have IFDEF's for developers
that need to support older versions - they need to explicitly tell LCL
at compile time that they want to support an older version of GTK+.

  - Graeme -