[Lazarus] Suggestion: Remove GTK1 support from IDE and LCL.

KrisztiƔn Nagy nkrisztian89 at gmail.com
Sat May 15 16:32:33 CEST 2010

First some facts:
I've checked some popular distros about supported gtk+ version.
Moving to 2.12 means supporting
Debian: back to 5.0 Lenny released 2009/02/15 - 15 months ago (see
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian)
Ubuntu: back to 7.10 Gutsy released 2007/10/18 - 31 months ago (see
...=ubuntu)
Fedora: back to 8 (werewolf) released 2007/11/08 - 30 months ago (see
...=fedora)
openSUSE: back to 10.3 released 2007/10/04 - 31 months ago (see ...=suse)
Mandriva: back to 2008 released 2007/10/09 - 31 months ago (see
...=mandriva)

While the current state (supporting 2.6) means supporting
Debian: 2005/06/06
Ubuntu: 2005/04/08
Fedora: 2005/06/13
openSUSE: 2005/04/15
Mandriva: 2005/04/14

To summarize, now Lazarus supports systems being up to 5 years old, while
changing to 2.12 would mean supporting < 2.5 years old
systems, except for debian, which in fact is a widely used distro (AFAIK)
but it's 2007 release only supports gtk+ 2.8.20.
So much for the facts.

For my opinion, I think such decision requires sufficient knowledge
regarding the users of lazarus, how many users do we have running different
systems, and what are their opinion or requests.
I know in open source users are also developers and that this list is also
open for users (as in fact I am also a user and not developer) but are there
any information available based on which we could make such decision? If not
shouldn't we gather it? (by making a platform for it, for example having a
"start page" showing up first time you run lazarus with links urging users
to share their thoughts and information (register) (and other useful links)
like many other IDE has, or creating polls or anything (just ideas).

Sorry if I said something irrelevant or stupid, I'm relatively new to this
list. Just trying to share my ideas.

cheers
KrisztiƔn