[Lazarus] Lazarus make me create better apps

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Mon May 17 22:12:56 CEST 2010

Bee Jay wrote:
> On 18 Mei 2010, at 01:42, Myles Wakeham wrote:
>
>> Agreed.  PHP is a 'staple' in web development, and is benefited by a large
>> number of mature frameworks supporting multiple design patterns, IDEs in
>> large deployments (ie. Eclipse, Netbeans, etc.) and a huge community.
>
> Well... with pascal you got Lazarus or Delphi, VCL or LCL, and also both
> community.
>
>> However with that said, we are about to embark of developing much of our
>> shipped application software in FPC/Lazarus simply because there is no way
>> to protect our source code when provided to a client for them to host on
>> their own servers.  This is a big weakness of PHP in general - sure there
>> are obfuscation solutions out there, but I'm yet to find anything that I
>> would be 100% happy with that my source is protected entirely.  Plus the
>> performance degredation for PHP apps (if PHP wasn't slow enough in its
>> default installation) affects my client's productivity.
>
> Use pascal then. You just need to learn JS UI framework, my advice: ExtJS or
> Qooxdoo, for a while, perhaps about 1-2 weeks. Combine it with pascal on the
> server side. It would save you lots of time and work, especially since you
> already got the desktop version running

>> I think there is a really good place for BOTH FPC/Lazarus/Delphi web apps
>> AND PHP apps.  I don't see them as mutually exclusive here.  Many of our
>> clients want to tweak the web pages that we serve and by using tools like
>> Smarty, etc. in PHP I can give them access to the app and let them loose on
>> their own sites without too much fear of disaster.  Of course, never say
>> never....
>
> I've made several web apps using pascal. Never need to use PHP. :)

I think the traditional barrier has been the deployment issue which probably
made pascal based web application or servers more common to workgroup/intranet
applications.

With VPS servers, that's all changing.

Some are extremely cheap, depending on the level of service you want:
http://www.webkeepers.com/vps/vps_lite.html

The problem I think has also been lack of a central and openly available (open
source?) framework to rally around for web development in pascal in order to
foster an eco-system like we see with traditional 3rd party components and
libraries.

I've been playing with javascript (particularly the dojo framework) a lot lately
and its really not that bad once you get used to the loosey goosey weak typing
and creating function objects on the fly as parameters to functions, etc.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee