[Lazarus] Suggestion: Remove GTK1 support from IDE and LCL.

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Fri May 21 14:02:31 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
> As you go on to note, at that point it's possible to stick at an older
> version of FPC and/or Lazarus, although it sometimes takes quite a lot of
> work finding out exactly what versions will run.

You can combine the info here:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/LCL_Internals#Minimum_Toolkit_versions

And check on Distro Watch which distribution version have which
Toolkit versions.

> Frankly, it's a dilemma. It's unreasonable to expect the developers to limit
> themselves to older library (gtk etc.) versions, and it's undesirable to
> lose users by telling them that they have to upgrade when they can't.

That's why usually we make a compromise. If possible the libraries are
dynamically loaded. Sometimes the cost of keeping support for older
versions becomes too high and moving up is inevitable.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho