[Lazarus] IDE layouts

Vannus vannus at gmail.com
Fri May 21 22:07:32 CEST 2010

1) When the IDE starts, it looks for a user layout, then for a default
layout, and if one is found, restores that screen layout. Otherwise no
additional windows are shown, so far.

2) When a project is opened, the IDE looks for a project specific layout to
restore, otherwise like (1).

3) The user can open and close, arrange and dock forms as desired, and store
the layout on disk.

window 'snapping' would be good. thing is youre then duplicating linux
functionality for windows users...

> 4) The user can reload a stored layout at any time.
>

> Now about possible options. I'd like to have different layouts for Edit,
> Form design, Run/Debug. Others may want different layouts for screen sizes.
> That's all feasable, but before you start voting and adding features, you
> should consider:

to handle screen sizes maybe layouts should allow 'absolute' (1280 pixels)
or 'relative' (100%) positioning/sizing?

> A) Every layout is stored in an file. How can the IDE find the most
> appropriate layout file?

project1.layout
%user%/lazarus/layouts/default.layout
%user%/lazarus/layouts/myother.layout
%lazarus%/layouts/default.layout

instead of just a generic default.layout, id also suggest:-
vcl_app.layout
simplecgi_app.layout
console_app.layout

> B) With multiple editor windows, the layout includes the files, open in an
> editor window. How to deal with the currently open files, when a different
> layout is restored?

maybe leave them in their own editor window, just open new ones for restored
layout.

> Unless you can answer these questions, your wishes can not be taken into
> account.

eh?

> If you want to have an preview, look at examples/dockmanager/mini_ide2.
> It's not perfect, but it allows to create windows, dock them together or to
> the main window, and the layouts can be stored and reloaded from disk.
>
>  DoDi

- V