[Lazarus] Fastest way to draw

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun May 23 04:48:21 CEST 2010

Reimar Grabowski wrote:

>> AggLCLCanvas was taking 30ms just to do a clear. Using a filled rectangle with the desired
>> background colour took only 10ms by comparison.
> Did you report this bug?

Not yet, no. I need time to prepare some solid test cases.

>> RGBBitmap32 : 19ms / frame
>
>> but
>> for just slapping lines down on a canvas LazRGBGraphics is hard to beat.
> I'd like to give it a try. 19ms does not sound that fast. Definitly missing the magical 60fps. How many lines did you draw for this tests? And did you only measure the time for drawing/rendering or the time for a whole frame update?

Uh, about 4000 lines, and the time was from "receive a packet of bytes" to after the
"application.processmessages" that ensured the display was properly rendered.

The pre-processing of the array was usually less than 1ms, so the rendering is what takes the time.
The drawing is pretty fast (usually ~1.5ms).

When I can only get 45fps from the Scope hardware, I'm really not fussed about not being able to
draw 60.

What is magical about 60fps?

Regards,
Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them