[Lazarus] IDE layouts

Vannus vannus at gmail.com
Sun May 23 18:33:13 CEST 2010

On 22 May 2010 12:47, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Vannus schrieb:
>

>  to handle screen sizes maybe layouts should allow 'absolute' (1280 pixels)
>> or 'relative' (100%) positioning/sizing?
>>

> A nice idea.
>
> It may lead to strange results, when restoring a layout from a 600x800
> screen on a multi-monitor desktop, regardless of whether it's absolute
> or relative. Another problem to be solved...

layout should have single, dual, etc modes.

if i use my laptop, all windows are on that monitor.
if i plug monitor into my laptop, and move source editor onto this then
lazarus should save this as dual mode of the layout.
every time i use laptop without extra screen it uses single mode, every time
i plug in monitor it uses dual mode.

> Also, who specifies which coordinates should be absolute, and which
> should be relative? Do you want to write and use such an editor?
> Whenever a layout is to be saved?

an editor in lazarus windows menu where you can select left, top, width,
height, and possibly even anchors editor.
you would rarely need to use the editor - windows should 'just remember'
their relative left, top, width, height positions.

>     A) Every layout is stored in an file. How can the IDE find the most
>>    appropriate layout file?
>>

>> project1.layout
>> %user%/lazarus/layouts/default.layout
>> %user%/lazarus/layouts/myother.layout
>> %lazarus%/layouts/default.layout
>>

> Question is not *where* the layouts are, instead *what* the layouts are
> for, i.e. *which* of these files to use.
>
> Lazarus can be shipped with any number of layouts, and the user can pick
> from them whatever he likes - this requires no special coding. Question
> is about automatic selection, based on which criteria, and in which
> situation.

not just use the same as windows/unix PATH's? how did delphi do it?
actually... (how does emberdecardero/visual studio handle multi-monitors??)
firstly, projects own layout (if there was a layouts menu in lazarus, you
could copy this for user project type default as well)
user project type default
project type default
lastly, lazarus default

konqueror in KDE3.5 handles this sort of thing as well. might be easy to
copy from it :)

>  instead of just a generic default.layout, id also suggest:-
>> vcl_app.layout
>> simplecgi_app.layout
>> console_app.layout
>>

> These could be loaded when a new project is created. I'm not sure
> whether the project type is known later, when an existing project is
> reopened.
>

>     B) With multiple editor windows, the layout includes the files, open
>>    in an editor window. How to deal with the currently open files, when
>>    a different layout is restored?
>>

>> maybe leave them in their own editor window, just open new ones for
>> restored layout.
>>

> It may be not a good idea to restore open files with a layout at all...
>
> Nonetheless it's not a problem to remove that part from the code, and
> replace it by any other mechanism - we only should find a convenient
> solution for handling open files when switching between layouts. In the IDE,
> every editor file may be tagged with a "preferred" editor window number...

sounds good.

> DoDi

- V