[Lazarus] Regex and Syntax Highlighting

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 26 14:25:04 CEST 2010

On 26 May 2010 13:19, Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:

Thanks for the SynEdit implementation details.

> try MacOsAll.pp (300000 lines) in your egex highlighter

You guys don't listen! :-)

MacOSAll.pp was split some time ago into multiple include files. No
problems, I checked out an older version which was 10MB in size
(277,380 lines of text to be exact).

Using jEdit v4.3.1 (which is a Java program and uses regex for
highlighting) opened that file in under 1 second and syntax
highlighting was immediately available. Ctrl+End to to jump to the end
of the file. Again, instantly moved there and instantly the syntax
highlighting was done!

THE SLOWNESS YOU GUYS ARE MENTIONING IS BASED ON AN CRAP IMPLEMENTATION.

I don't know what editor you guys used to test syntax highlighting,
but clearly it was a crap editor. jEdit being a Java program is damn
fast (imagine that, a Java app being fast.) and extremely efficient
with LARGE files. So regexp syntax highlighting, implemented
correctly, does not slow down syntax highlighting!!

  - Graeme -