[Lazarus] clarification / Re: constant-highlight ? [Re: quick opinion poll / pascal highlighting "case"]

Marc Weustink marc at dommelstein.net
Fri May 28 16:36:37 CEST 2010

Vannus wrote:

> On 27 May 2010 20:25, waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net
> <mailto:wkitty42 at windstream.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/26/2010 14:26, Vannus wrote:
>
>         IMO thats redundant lines + more scrolling to read the code.
>         whereas:-
>
>         if x then begin
>           code
>         end else begin
>           if y then begin
>             code
>           end else begin
>             code
>           end;
>         end;
>

>     the above format hurts my eyes... i cannot see else, for one thing,
>     and cannot separate out the individual code blocks... it is really
>     bad when it spans 50 lines or more... especially when it covers
>     several pages... at that point, you loose the rest of it...
>

> im looking for indents, your looking for begin/ends. i think this is
> where 'what your used to' comes in.. we both use what suits us.
> when 'code' makes the 'if' big, then i put the 'code's into their own
> procedures/functions. keeps things neat & orderly. imho what the 'if' is
> doing is seperate from what the 'code' is doing.

(just a note)

In the early days of lazarus I learned not to trust indents.
When you have code committed by different ppl, using tab, 1sp 2sp or 3sp
as indent, you cannot say for sure if an indent is part of the if
statement or a misindeted following statement. Unless you read the whole
if statement first.
This is why I personally really hate the above code.

Marc