[Lazarus] clarification / Re: constant-highlight ? [Re: quick opinion poll / pascal highlighting "case"]

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 28 22:38:49 CEST 2010

On 28 May 2010 18:15, waldo kitty wrote:

> i don't know if i can retrain my thumb to hit the TAB instead of the space
> bar as it has been trained to do these past 30+ years i've been coding :? :P

:-)
The sad thing is, the Tab key was invented for indentation and
alignment, yet Pascal and many other languages refrain from using that
key. I really think it's the limitations of the editors that forced us
to start using the spaces bar to align and indent. Word Processors
have variable width tabstops, elastic tabstops do the same as word
processors but tuned for programming - it just makes more logical
sense to use the tab character correctly. And obviously Programming
Editors need to get with the times. Limited to mono fonts and fixed
width tabs are getting rather old - imagine MS Word or OpenOffice
Writer still had those limitations. :-/

  - Graeme -