[Lazarus] Copying form client area to clipboard and to file

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat May 29 22:37:36 CEST 2010

On 2010-05-29 18:14, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:06:37PM +0300, Adem wrote:
>
>> On 2010-05-28 21:50, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>>
>>> It might be possible but the fpc scanner/parser are rather interwinded
>>> with other parts of the compiler, just to name an example: pmodules.pas
>>> parses units and programs but controls also code generation and handles
>>> symtables etc. for them.
>>>
>> I can only --barely at that-- guess the amount of work and effort you
>> have put into FPC and I appreciate it all immensely.
>> [No, this isn't grovelling. It is sincere. But, I just wanted to say it,
>> before moving on to the next paragraph.]
>>
>> Would I have your blessing if I proposed a bounty to unentwine them so
>> that each one of those major modules becomes objects in tehir own right
>> --commnicating with one another through public/published events and
>> properties.
>>
> Personally I think the bounty is better spent on improving fcl-passrc and
> giving it some regular work and maintainance.
>
> That doesn't mean the various parsers could be better synchronized, and I
> think something can be done there.  But I think it would yield more to
> integrating fcl-passrc into the testsuite, and thus document the boundery
> conditions of implemented constructs.

Other than some historical accident, what can be the point of
writing/maintaining various parsers while there is the true blood parser
right inside the compiler engine.

I mean, if I'd suggested a slightly different version of TList, I am
sure I'd be given thr tar and feathera treatment for attempting to
duplicate an already existing class for no major gain. Yet, there seems
to be more than one (each half-baked to various degrees) parsers lying
around.

Code formatting isn't main and only place to use for the refactored
FPC's parser, there are many more downstream areas it can be used for. I
could go on about what sort of horizons it would open up downstream, but
I am sure you all know about them better than I do.

Anyway, so far, all I have learned about FPC's tokenizer/parser/compiler
is that it is near impossible for ordinary mortals to factorize them,
plus it would take another ten years or so to stabilize.

Good job I wasn't the one suggesting FPC to be 64-bit compatible;
judging by how long it is taking EmBorCoDero, I might have been given
centuries :)

--
Cheers,

Adem