[Lazarus] easy cross-platform compiling??

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 30 23:36:01 CEST 2010

On 30 May 2010 18:16, waldo kitty wrote:

> does that make sense?? i don't think that these "add-on" packages would
> really be all that large, either...

There is definitely a demand for this. With Lazarus IDE this is a
nightmare - just too many settings to fiddle with. MSEide is *much*
better at this. With it's different build modes and user defined
macro's it is rather easy to accomplish. fpGUI's IDE (not available to
the public yet), this is also available in much the same way as
MSEide. With one mouse click I can now build for Linux 32, or Linux
64, or Windows 32, or Windows ME.

> apps from long ago that are one binary that runs under several OS'... one
> executable that runs natively on OS/2 and on DOS... i believe that binary

There is something called FatELF executables (Google it for more
information). But this allows you to inject various platforms
executable into one "fat" executable. Similar type of thing as the
Universal Binary idea from Apple. As an example of how well FatELF
works, they make a 32 & 64 bit Ubuntu distribution. One CD supporting
both platforms. I wonder if FPC could be modified to generate such
executables.

  - Graeme -