[Lazarus] News on Delphi x64

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 10:51:38 CET 2010

Op 2010-11-01 11:26, Sven Barth het geskryf:

> A little entry about some details of Delphi x64 I stumbled on today:

And let me guess, they took no cues from FPC, and had to make sure there is
as much "incompatibility" as humanly possible!  This is why I say, FPC
should cut any ties with Delphi and simply innovate on it's own.

>  > So, Extended = Double.
>
> // how is this in FPC? Extended is just not available on x86_64, or?
> (well... I don't use Extended anyway ^^)

FPC has Extended and it's rang is 19-20 significant digits with range:
   1.9E-4932 – 1.1E4932
It's size is 10 bytes.

>  > Type sizes for 64: SizeOf(Integer)=4,
> SizeOf(NativeInt)=SizeOf(Pointer)=8,

Oh f**k, please don't tell me FPC is now going to downgrade Integer to a
32-bit type only. This will break such a LOT of programs!!

> // they needed to call it NativeInt, didn't they? They couldn't have
> gone with PtrInt -.-

Definitely not, because that would be FPC compatible.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/fpgui/