[Lazarus] Compiling lazarus in a headless server

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Nov 3 12:31:33 CET 2010

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010, Michael Schnell wrote:

> On 10/30/2010 11:37 PM, Leonardo M. Ramé wrote:
>> Hi, I would like to know if anyone has compiled Lazarus in a headless
>> machine.
> I did a lot of research on that behalf (additional issue for me: it would not
> be an X86 machine).
>
> Some results:
>
> Latest results and most important result: It does not make much sense to
> search for a solution in user software, as nowadays any decent machine has
> enough resources to allow for a widget set (QT or GTK) and an X server, that
> can be accesses remotely via VNC or NX.
>
> So here are the options i found (decreasing viability)
>

> F) do a command line tool that can be accessed via Telnet or SSH
> Here no event driven programming is possible.

This tool exists and is installed with Lazarus: lazbuild.

It's all you need if you just need to compile. You don't need a GUI to be able to
just compile a program.

All the rest are complicated ways of trying to do something you're not supposed to
do in the first place: develop on a production machine.

As I understood it, Leonardo just needs a tool to compile a lazarus project on a server.
Not develop or debug. So lazbuild is the tool to use.

Michael.