[Lazarus] Compiling lazarus in a headless server

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 16:52:56 CET 2010

Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 10/30/2010 11:37 PM, Leonardo M. Ramé wrote:
>> Hi, I would like to know if anyone has compiled Lazarus in a headless
>> machine.
> I did a lot of research on that behalf (additional issue for me: it
> would not be an X86 machine).
>
> Some results:
>
> Latest results and most important result: It does not make much sense to
> search for a solution in user software, as nowadays any decent machine
> has enough resources to allow for a widget set (QT or GTK) and an X
> server, that can be accesses remotely via VNC or NX.
>
> So here are the options i found (decreasing viability)
>
>  A) remotely access a local X server: VNC or (supposedly better) NX
> you locally need a widget set (QT or GTK) unless you use the FPGUI
> widget type) and an X server

I usually work over VNC since most machines here are headless. I've seen
a few problems which I think are down to things like dpi mismatch but in
general it works well.

>  B) access a remote X server (remote Linux: Standard, remote Windows:
> there are some free X-Servers)
> you locally need a widget set (QT or GTK) unless you use the FPGUI
> widget type). The user software can only run if a remote X server is
> accessible. It needs to be started vis telnet or SSH

I've not done this very much since gtk v2 became preferred since Lazarus
(and a few other programs) had performance issues for a while. I've seen
recent problems with KDE v4 on a headless system which seems to assume
that the remote X server (i.e. the "X terminal" running on the computer
in front of me) has extensions and colour depth which might not be
available on older systems.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk