[Lazarus] Custom draw menu

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 7 12:58:19 CET 2010

On 07.11.2010 10:07, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 7 November 2010 04:56, Sergei Gorelkin<sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru>  wrote:
>> Which bug reports? I fail to find something related in Lazarus bugtracker,
>> although I may be using wrong keywords.
>
> That raises yet another problem. Nothing can be found in Mantis
> because the searching is absolutely useless - the worst I have seen in
> any application ever. I can't even find my own open bug reports from
> months or years ago. That must say something of how bad Mantis is.
> Even Mozilla's bug tracker (doesn't look pretty by default), but works
> a damn lot better.

Huh? Finding my own open reports in Mantis is a no-brainer:

Go to "View Issues", if there is a "+" before "Search" then click it to
enable the advanced filters. Click on "Reporter" which will initialize a
combobox. There you can select "[MySelf]" (you have to be logged in) or
search your name. Then click on "Hide Status" and select "closed". Now
press "Apply filter" and be happy.

And there's even an easier way: Go to "My view" (you have to be logged
in) and click on "reported by me". :)

>> I remember some UI design guide from M$, telling not to put images in
>> menubars.
>> Maybe everyone is just following that guide :-)
>
> Images in menus (menu bar, popups etc) are pretty pointless anyway,
> because there is clear text plaining each item already. Images are
> meant for toolbars as far as I'm concerned. Why, because toolbars
> normal doesn't contain text to describe what each item is.

I don't think that they are pointless. Images are easier to recognize
than texts. That's why I love TortoiseSVN's Explorer integration so much
(no argues about svn vs. git please): each menu item has a different
glyph and thus you can very easily and fast navigate the menu by just
recognizing the image in front of the item.

Regards,
Sven