[Lazarus] Custom draw menu

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 7 15:19:59 CET 2010

On 07.11.2010 14:00, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 7 November 2010 13:58, Sven Barth<pascaldragon at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> search your name. Then click on "Hide Status" and select "closed". Now press
>> "Apply filter" and be happy.
>
> Ok, but if you are in the "Lazarus" project you don't see the reports
> in the sub-project "Patches". So now I have to try and remember if
> something I posted 1.5 years ago was under "Lazarus" or under
> "Patches" etc..

Well... I always search inside "All projects" and restrict the search
area by the category if necessary. That's sufficient for me most of the
time...

> The searching for somebody else's report is in more difficult because
> the keyword search it totally useless too.

THAT is a different matter. ^^

>> thus you can very easily and fast navigate the menu by just recognizing the
>> image in front of the item.
>
> Or do the unthinkable, and actually read the text of each item. In
> many cases the icons are inappropriate, has no real relation to the
> item, is in appropriate for the locale etc etc. Read some HIG
> documents and you will see what I mean - they all tell the same story.

Eh... didn't I just say that going by an icon is faster than going by a
text? Why do you think toolbars normally contain mostly icons instead of
text? Correct: we humans can easier recognize images instead of texts.
Ok, texts might be considered as images as well, but one has to
interpret them to get their meaning, while you can easily associate a
certain meaning with a glyph, even when the glyph and the meaning aren't
related.

I didn't say that the icons of TortoiseSVN are appropiate for their
tasks (but I didn't say that they aren't either), but they are different
and that's the point: you can go by the icon to select the correct task.

If I take the 7zip Explorer integration as another example: I always
have to search where in the popup menu that item is, but the TortoiseSVN
main items (commit, update, other tasks) are easily found (in the case
you haven't installed another Tortoise* which uses the same icons ^^ -
which I haven't, cause I prefer using Git the command line way).

Regards,
Sven