[Lazarus] Free Pascal 2.4.2 released!

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 22:53:12 CET 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 10:49:03 +0100 (CET), marcov at stack.nl (Marco van
de Voort) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>we have placed a new major release of the Free Pascal
>Compiler, version 2.4.2 on our ftp-servers.
>
>Changes that may break backwards compatibility are documented at:
>http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.4.2
>
>Downloads are available at:
>
>the main FTP server at
>
>ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/dist/2.4.2/
>
>and mirrors like
>
>ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/dist/2.4.2/
>ftp://ftp.hu.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/dist/2.4.2/

I downloaded the win32 installer from the ftp site and started it.
While in the setup dialogs I found that it installs what it calls the
FPC IDE and asks if I want to set file associations to point to the
IDE.
Question:
Does this mean that it installs a new version of lazarus as well???
If not, what is the FPC IDE? Another development environment???

I was about to install fpc into c:\Programs\lazarus\fpc\2.4.2, but now
I am not so sure because of the confusing dialogs. :-(

The c:\Programs\lazarus\fpc\2.2.4 folder was where the Lazarus
installer deposited the fpc version 2.2.4, so I figured that I could
put 2.4.2 in parallel to that version in folder 2.4.2.

But that was before I saw the IDE questions popping up...

Bo Berglund