[Lazarus] Free Pascal 2.4.2 released!

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 13 23:07:03 CET 2010

On 13.11.2010 22:53, Bo Berglund wrote:
> I downloaded the win32 installer from the ftp site and started it.
> While in the setup dialogs I found that it installs what it calls the
> FPC IDE and asks if I want to set file associations to point to the
> IDE.
> Question:
> Does this mean that it installs a new version of lazarus as well???
> If not, what is the FPC IDE? Another development environment???

The FPC IDE is the text mode IDE maintained by the FPC team itself
(Lazarus is a separate but closely related project). The IDE resembles
the Turbo Pascal IDE, but has some modern features as well.

You can install it without any conflicts with Lazarus. It's inside the
%FPCINSTALLDIR%\bin\i386-win32\ folder and named "fp.exe".

You should not associate the source files with FP IDE though if you
prefer Lazarus.

> I was about to install fpc into c:\Programs\lazarus\fpc\2.4.2, but now
> I am not so sure because of the confusing dialogs. :-(
>
> The c:\Programs\lazarus\fpc\2.2.4 folder was where the Lazarus
> installer deposited the fpc version 2.2.4, so I figured that I could
> put 2.4.2 in parallel to that version in folder 2.4.2.

You can install into that folder without problems. As said the two IDEs
won't conflict with each other (except the file associations, but most
applications have a similar problem ^^).

Regards,
Sven