[Lazarus] New convert guidance

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 20 11:12:48 CET 2010

On 19.11.2010 22:17, Kirby Leeper wrote:
> Sorry if I posted in the wrong list.  That's part of the question.
>
> I have just found Lazarus/FPC and I am blown away after a life of
> mainframe and PC VB6 and VB.net.  The cross platform and *real* grids
> for SQL client/server seem to be just dead on from the example apps.
>   Hats off team!
>
> Now, is there a noob listserve or forum?
> Where do I learn about the bits of Lazarus project and the IDE?
>
> IE I use a lot of common code and classes shared from a "globals"
> folder, etc.  Where do I learn includes or external file referrals
> outside the project folder, etc.
>
> I am not looking for the answer; I am looking for someone to point me
> down the learning path!  What I'm trying so poorly to ask is: Is the
> Lazarus IDE so close to Delphi version "x" that if I got a Delphi
> version "x" book that it would get me started?  Pascal is not the issue.
>   It looks great and I can learn a language.
>
> I am talking about learning how to:
>   - Drive the IDE and building good project folders without all copying
> code files in each folder, etc.
>   - Learn the lingo so as to easily find where the code is behind the
> event on the control, etc.
>   - Where are database connections and how to modify the connect string,
> etc. etc.
>
> Any guidance greatly appreciated.
> Keep up the great work. I think you may have a new convert for what that
> worth. :)

A good place to start is the FPC/Lazarus wiki: http://wiki.freepascal.org/

"Free Pascal documentation" is more about the compiler, what features it
supports and the one or other help topic.

"Lazarus documentation" is about the Lazarus IDE and the LCL (the
Lazarus Component Library). There you can find some overview topics of
the IDE and the usage of the LCL and some specific help pages (just read
them and may be you'll find something interesting).

Regarding your "shared files" problem, I'd suggest you to take a look at
"Lazarus packages".

For many other problems (like using components, controls etc.) you can
mostly(!) rely on Delphi tutorials and books as well (mostly Delphi 7
and older). Some things won't work the way they work in Delphi though,
cause of the fact that Lazarus is cross platform.

Documentation for the non-visual RTL and FCL (Free Component Library),
which are part of every FPC distribution, can you find here:
http://www.freepascal.org/docs.var
If you look into the %YourLazarusDir%\fpc\%FPCVersion%\packages
directory you will also find many other packages that might be of
interest for you.

The documentation of the LCL isn't as complete as the RTL and FCL one,
but you can find how and from where to install it here:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Help_in_the_IDE (this includes the
RTL and FCL help as well, but that doesn't hurt ;) )

If you have problems with the IDE or the LCL you can ask them in this
list and if you have Pascal related problems or problems with the
provided FCL you can ask them on the fpc-pascal list, which you can find
here: http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal/

Regards,
Sven