[Lazarus] Windows Explorer context menu plug-in with fpc?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 20:30:28 CET 2010

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:48:07 +0100, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 07:45:51 -0600, Paul Breneman
><list2010 at BrenemanLabs.com> wrote:
>
>>Embarcadero's web site seems to be down at the moment, but there is a
>>little copied from a message on one of there forums from 1 Feb 2010:
>>
>>At http://cc.embarcadero.com/Item/27554 you can find the source code for
>>a shell extension which can be compiled to a 64bit library using Free
>>Pascal / Lazarus. The source code is compatible with Delphi 7 and
>>better, too.
>>
>>If you don't already use www.codenewsfast.com you might search on it for
>>"explorer shell extension 64" and you'll find several threads about this.
>
>This site found the posting and it is located in newsgroup:
>embarcadero.public.delphi.thirdpartytools.general
>I am keeping many of these newsgroups in my Free Agent archive, but
>unfortunately I did not subscribe to this particular one before, so i
>need to connect to embarcadero to geth the update and now it seems
>like they have shut down the site (maybe it is the scheduled server
>maintenance on Nov 19, 7PM Pacific that has kicked in early?).
>
>The post references the link above and it is dead at the moment...
>Just have to wait, I guess.

--- Following reply has been hanging in my out-box for a few days ---

I continued my search and lo-and-behold! I found this link:
http://www.gnostice.com/nl_article.asp?id=168&t=Copy_File_Path_and_Name_using_Windows_Explorer_Context_Menu_Extensions
or as tiny:
http://tinyurl.com/33yu62g

There was explained what position in the registry to use in order to
integrate your command to the Explorer context menu. And it works!
I have now added UltraEdit and one of my own utilities to the pop-up
menu in Explorer.  :-D

Now I only want to know how to expand this into having a multi-line
menu to the right of the pop-up menu.

But it looks like there is some hope also here, because there is an
example delivered with Delphi7 (and probably also in later versions)
in the Demos folder:
$DELPHI\Demos\ActiveX\ShellExt
This has an example, which I have as yet not opened, on how to make a
plug-in dll probably with menus.
Of course once embarcadero wakes up I can look at that link too for
the FPC compatible code.

--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden