[Lazarus] GUI development for web UI

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Nov 24 12:55:31 CET 2010

On 11/24/2010 11:42 AM, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

> I tried making moderatly complicated production applications with it.
> It cannot be done without redesigning ExtPascal from the ground up.
Same here, That is why I only recommended it as a way to try out ExtJS.

> Comet is a rickety technology. Not robust at all, and creates more
> problems
> than it solves. You can use polling, but that's just plain HTTP, not even
> worth of putting a name on it.
I suppose a problem of Comet's is that it needs cooperation of the web
server, allowing for an appropriate number of simultaneous "hanging"
requests. In fact the necessity of  using such questionable technology
as a workaround for the missing server event transport is a design flow
of the abysmal http protocol which never was intended for but needs to
be abused for this kind of applications due to the incompetence of most
IT departments that are not able to decently configure the firewalls.

I wonder what technology Silverlight/Moonlight uses for this purpose.
Could this be a hint for an upcoming "HTML" Widget Type ?

>> Of course TTimer and an Inter Thread event Queue would be needed to
>> be implemented within the new Widget Type (for Linux use similar as
>> in the FPGUI Widget Type or as in MSEGUI).
> Hehe, I was waiting for you to bring this one up. Never fails :-)
__Of course__. It can't be repeated often enough :-[ ;-) Maybe some day
it helps....

-Michael