[Lazarus] filesystem timing Linux vs Win

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 18:53:40 CET 2010

On 27 November 2010 17:22, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 27.11.2010 18:16, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
>>
>>> Calling the system to ask for the last-modification time that often
>>> (even with all/most data cached by the OS) would take that long on
>>> Windows, while under Linux it wouldn't even take a single second...
>>
>> But how does it come that there can be such a difference doing nearly
>> the same things on Linux and Windows? I can't believe that Windows is
>> *such* a bad design. They all cook with water I think.
>
> It would be interesting to see a comparison on the same filesystem. E.g.
> fat32 or ext2 (using ext2ifs). NTFS is a bad example because it is
> implemented on Linux using a user file system driver (fuse), which might
> influence the performance test.

This would be a useless comparison in so many ways.  ext2 drivers
performs _way_ worse under windows, due to code quality.  there just
aren't that many people interested in a high performance ext* driver
for windows, understandably.  Also, the features of the filesystems
are so different, you can't even compare them.  fat and ntfs are stuck
in the dark ages compared to ext*.

There is an in-kernel NTFS implementation, but it's no good for writing.

Henry