[Lazarus] Syntax checking from Lazarus

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Nov 30 10:09:28 CET 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:56:55 +0100
Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 30.11.2010 09:12, schrieb Bo Berglund:
> > In Delphi I use the "Syntax check" function a lot to verify that my
> > project does not contain any illegal constructs or missing begin-end
> > terminators etc.
> >
> > In Lazarus the only comparable such command I have found is "Quick
> > Compile", but this is not really what I am after because:
> > 1) It saves my edited files before I am really ready for this

Yes, the compiler needs files.

> > 2) It actually compiles the project
> > 3) It takes longer than I expect
> >
> > Is there a "syntax check" function that I have overlooked, which works
> > the same way as in Delphi?
> >

> How about "Tools"->"Quick syntax check" (or similar, I'm using the
> German version). I haven't used that yet, so I can't tell you how good
> and up to date it is.

It is the syntax check of the codetools. They are much more tolerant
than the compiler, but missing 'end's are spotted. It does not check
identifiers and therefore it does not check expressions and statements.

> > And what does "Quick" mean in regards to "quick compile"???

It tells the compiler to skip linking and assembling.

> Sorry, can't tell you anything about this, cause I'm not using this as well.

Mattias