[Lazarus] GUI development for web UI

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Tue Nov 30 14:23:55 CET 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Marcos Douglas wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
> <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Marcos Douglas wrote:

>>> FastCGI or CGI gateway?
>>
>> FastCGI.
>>
>> But using the gateway shouldn't make any difference: you debug the fastcgi,
>> not the gateway :-)
>
> But if you want to update the application you will have to leave the
> application unavailable.
> With CGI gateway you can redirect the flow to another server.

In my opinion that is pointless and serves no useful
purpose except maybe in a few trivial cases.

The reason you use FastCGI is that you can keep things in
memory during the session of the user. (DB connection,
transactions and possibly complete form states)

By switching to another FastCGI instance, you loose all
this session information: you get the same effect as stopping
and restarting fastCGI, except maybe a couple of failed
requests. It's not worth the overhead IMHO.

Michael.