[Lazarus] Serial communication??

BosseB bo.berglund at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 23:59:32 CEST 2010

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 22:19:03 +0100, Malcolm Poole
<malcolm at lingua-z.co.uk> wrote:

>On 01/10/10 19:53, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> The problem is that I have no clue as to *where* Lazarus is installed. I
>> used the Synaptic Package Manager and let it find and install Lazarus for
>> me (on Ubuntu 10.04-2). I was not asked where it should go, it just
>> installed....
>> And being a Linux newbie (I installed this Ubuntu machine last Sunday) I
>> don't know where programs go in the confusing file system.
>> Probably a silly and stupid question, but how can I find the install
>> directory of any program in Linux?
>>

>Reopen the Synaptic package manager and highlight Lazarus. Then click on
>"Properties" and you will find a list of the files that were installed
>and their location.
>
>If only you could do that with a Windows installation file ;-)

I found lazarus in this location:
/usr/lib/lazarus/0.9.28.2
I have downloaded the component zip file into my Downloads directory.
Then I have extracted the contents, which created a new directory:
Downloads/Sdpo

But when I try to do as directed (move Sdpo folder into lazarus
components folder) I get a "permission denied" error. :-(

Why is that? And how do you go about installing the components if you
are not allowed to put the files where they belong???

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden