[Lazarus] Build scripts for Freepascal and Lazarus compilation from source

Juha Manninen (gmail) juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 12:10:35 CEST 2010

On Sunday 03 October 2010 12:25:50 Frank Church wrote:
> I have posted an article and some code on some bash scripts I have
> developed to install FPC and Lazarus from source at
> http://devblog.brahmancreations.com/content/build-scripts-for-installing-fr
> eepascal-and-lazarus-from-source .
>
> Any comments and tips are well come.

Why are FPC and Lazarus installed in a hidden directory
(${HOMEDIR}/.programs/...)?

I was playing with an idea of a graphical installer. To make the installation
really easy and intuitive there should be a GUI. Besides Lazarus itself makes
WYSIWYG GUI design easy. The installation should be brought to the same level.

The installer would know the OS and recognize the Distro if running on Linux.

Then it would find the best way to install FPC.
For windows it would download from SourceForge and install.
For Mac something similar (Apple's developer tools must be installed first!).
For Linux it would check the distro's own package repo and offer to install
from there. Like:
 "yum install fpc" for Fedora and Redhat
 "zypper install fpc" for SuSe
 "rpm -i fpc" for other RPM distros
 "apt-get fpc" for Debian and Ununtu
Other distros are derived from those so it would cover almost everything.
If not found in a repo then it would download a package and install it.

Then it would offer to install a binary version of Lazarus, or to download the
sources of a selected Lazarus version and build it.

Installing many FPC and Lazarus versions and switching between them should be
supported. There are now some technical problems that prevent it but those
problems should be solved.

Download and building the sources of Lazarus resembles the Gentoo Linux style.
It could actually be used for any program made with Lazarus.

Juha