[Lazarus] Build scripts for Freepascal and Lazarus compilation from source

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 12:43:41 CEST 2010

2010/10/4 Juha Manninen (gmail) <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com>

>  On Sunday 03 October 2010 12:25:50 Frank Church wrote:
>
> > I have posted an article and some code on some bash scripts I have
>
> > developed to install FPC and Lazarus from source at
>

> http://devblog.brahmancreations.com/content/build-scripts-for-installing-fr
>
> > eepascal-and-lazarus-from-source .
>

> > Any comments and tips are well come.
>
> Why are FPC and Lazarus installed in a hidden directory (${HOMEDIR}/
> .programs/...)?

There is no real reason for that, I have created a visible symlink to it
now. It is just that Linux creates too many visible folders in  $HOME and I
wanted it to be invisible. I realized the folly soon after and created the
symlink rather than rename it and break a whole lot of existing stuff.

>  I was playing with an idea of a graphical installer. To make the
> installation really easy and intuitive there should be a GUI. Besides
> Lazarus itself makes WYSIWYG GUI design easy. The installation should be
> brought to the same level.
>
> The installer would know the OS and recognize the Distro if running on
> Linux.
>
> Then it would find the best way to install FPC.
>
> For windows it would download from SourceForge and install.
>
> For Mac something similar (Apple's developer tools must be installed
> first!).
>
> For Linux it would check the distro's own package repo and offer to install
> from there. Like:
>
> "yum install fpc" for Fedora and Redhat
>
> "zypper install fpc" for SuSe
>
> "rpm -i fpc" for other RPM distros
>
> "apt-get fpc" for Debian and Ununtu
>
> Other distros are derived from those so it would cover almost everything.
>
> If not found in a repo then it would download a package and install it.
>
> Then it would offer to install a binary version of Lazarus, or to download
> the sources of a selected Lazarus version and build it.
>
> Installing many FPC and Lazarus versions and switching between them should
> be supported. There are now some technical problems that prevent it but
> those problems should be solved.
>
> Download and building the sources of Lazarus resembles the Gentoo Linux
> style.
>
> It could actually be used for any program made with Lazarus.
>
>  Juha
>

> --

Frank Church