[Lazarus] Converting Pascal Client/Server application into Web Client?

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Oct 5 09:59:34 CEST 2010

  On 10/01/2010 05:11 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> Define excessive polling ?
IMHO, any "dump" polling is excessive. IMHO, a decent method needs to
"sleep" most of the time in a polling cycle (not generating CPU or
network traffic) and the asynchronous event needs to "wake" the process.
This is the only way to provide both low latency and low overhead.
> I thought like you, 12 years ago. Till reality kicked in. Faulty
> switches,
> company firewalls and whatnot. Not all servers/firewalls support HTTP 1.1
> (for a persistent connection) etc. Too many problems.

Yep ! HTTP is essentially not suitable for this. You would be much
better off using normal bidirectional TCP/IP communication.  It's only
because of the dump IP departments that this silly http add-ons are
necessary.

-Michael