[Lazarus] Converting Fortran to FPC?

Juha Manninen (gmail) juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 09:40:47 CEST 2010

On Thursday 07 October 2010 00:34:29 Bo Berglund wrote:
> So my question now is if there is any experience of either porting
> Fortran code to FPC or of compiling Fortran code for a Windows DLL
> into the corresponding function in Linux?

I don't know Fortran much but it is a simpler language that Pascal and the
conversion should be easier than eg. from C++.
You have the DLLs available, don't you? Learn the Fortran syntax, port the
code and create proper test cases to compare the output of old and new code.

Or, start to maintain the Fortran code yourself. There are compilers available
for many platforms. Besides, that would make you a Real Man.
"Real Programmers Don't Use PASCAL" as noted in this article:
 http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~elf/hack/realmen.html
Instead they use Fortran.
Ok, it is a bit outdated, written already at 1982. Then Fortran was already
old and Pascal was something new. Today a similar joke would say:
 "Real Programmers Don't Use C#, They Use Pascal".

> (By te way, is there such a thing as a DLL in Linux?)

Learn about command "ldconfig" and some other Linux basics. You will need it.
There are lots of tutorials around in intenet.

Regards,
Juha

P.S.
This one was funny :-)

Nicklaus Wirth was once asked, "How do you pronounce your name?". He replied
"You can either call me by name, pronouncing it 'Veert', or call me by value,
'Worth'."