[Lazarus] tooltip debugger shows incorrect data

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Oct 13 16:14:25 CEST 2010

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Op 2010-10-13 15:33, Michael Van Canneyt het geskryf:
>>>
>>> Ah, this might be the solution then. Thanks for that.
>>
>> You're welcome. Note that this uses
>> - dbugintf unit from FCL
>> - debugserver tool (lazarus/tools/debugserver)
>

> I did a few quick tests using various data types and even property values
> of a class instance - it indeed seems like the most reliable way to debug
> using FPC. :)

Not only FPC. I do the same in Delphi. Extremely useful for server
debugging.

I use the following code templates in Delphi and Lazarus :

send | Senddebug statement | Borland.EditOptions.Pascal]
{$ifdef debug}SendDebug('|');{$endif}
[sendf | Senddebug statement with format | Borland.EditOptions.Pascal]
{$ifdef debug}SendDebug(Format('|',[]));{$endif}
[sendu | Add dbugintf to uses in define | Borland.EditOptions.Pascal]
{$ifdef debug}dbugintf,{$endif}
[sendme | SendMethodEnter | Borland.EditOptions.Pascal]
{$ifdef debug}SendMethodEnter('|');{$endif}
[sendmx | SendmethodExit | Borland.EditOptions.Pascal]
{$ifdef debug}SendMethodExit('|');{$endif}

The $ifdef allows you to switch it on or off quite easily.

Michael.