[Lazarus] tooltip debugger shows incorrect data

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 16:56:58 CEST 2010

Op 2010-10-13 16:12, Frank Church het geskryf:

> @Graeme: I have to say that sometimes you make pointed criticisms which
> rub people the wrong way.

Funny that, my wife (of all people) accused me of the same thing last week.
Maybe it's just the way I write emails, but it's not always intended to
come across so harsh.

> I also don't know the issues which go into what they prioritize so I
> wouldn't criticize them on that.

Speaking as someone that manages a few projects at a time (open source and
commercial) for many years now, it just frustrates me to see how the
lazarus team runs their project. I have come to realize that there is
nothing I can do about that, but it still frustrates me none the less.

> As an aside, I know the debugger issue you raised and it can be easily
> sidestepped by creating some simple variables and assigning the contents
> of the expressions you want so they can show in the debugger

If you look at the screenshots I posted, that is exactly what I have done.
Yet the Watch List debug windows shows no data, or the incorrect data.

The only good news that came out of this discussion, is Michael's hint
about the dbugintf unit and the various SendDebug() methods. This actually
looks like a workable solution. So all I'll use GDB for now, is to step
through my code, while I watch the Debug Server window for variable values.
At least this way, I can get around all the bugs in the debugger
implementation.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/fpgui/