[Lazarus] TListView compatibility Delphi <=> Lazarus?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 23:25:38 CEST 2010

On 13 October 2010 22:22, Bo Berglund wrote:
> You write your own code and you know exactly what it does and where it
> is located and whet tool you use to compile it (usually you click a
> compile button in the IDE).

I understand where you are coming from. I had this same fear when I
moved from Delphi 7 and Kylix 3 to FPC and Lazarus. But in the end
there wasn't much to fear. You don't need to know the internals of the
compiler or the internals of the IDE, to simply compile them.

With FPC, it is always easiest to simply download a pre-built nightly
build, or the latest binary release. That's your starting point.
Lazarus is buggy no matter which version you take, but normally it is
best to start with the latest SVN version until you find a stable
revision you can stay with for a while longer.

To compile lazarus IDE for the first time, it's simply a matter of
running:   make bigide
inside the lazarus folder.

After that, once you have a working lazarus binary things get
easier... you can recompile the IDE from inside the IDE using the
"Tools > Build IDE..." menu options.

Learning to compile projects from the command line is not hard, and
it's actually very handy when you need to build a whole lot of
projects etc, because you can script them. Lazarus IDE doesn't have
"project groups" support like Delphi or Kylix has, so your only option
is to open,compile,close lots of projects - boring! :)

The FPC compiler has lots of parameters, but you only need to learn
3-4 parameters to do most compilations. You can even setup units paths
in your fpc.cfg file, which will reduce the amount of parameters you
need for any project too, making things even easier.

  - Graeme -