[Lazarus] How do you use codetools to declare new variables

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 11:22:28 CEST 2010

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 22:22:48 +0200
Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:

> Very simple:
> You write your own code and you know exactly what it does and where it
> is located and whet tool you use to compile it (usually you click a
> compile button in the IDE).
Working on bigger projects/in a bigger team/with a special build system these assumptions are not always true.
At least you know what tool to use to compile FPC. ;)

<snip>
> I do not know how to design and build a car but I can drive one and
> likewise I don't know how to design and build an airplane but I can
> fly one (yes I have a license).
>
> This is basically the same concerning compilers and the development
> IDE, those are tools to get your own software working....
Nope, they are tools to get any software (in the supported language with available source code) working (yours, mine or other peoples) and are software themself so your comparison is flawed.
I don't know anything about QT-Creator but I can compile it, I know nothing about OpenOffice but I can compile it, etc.
For me the only difference between compiling my own programs and other peoples programs is reading a little documentation or asking a question on a mailing list.
Actually it is even easier to compile Lazarus and FPC than your own programs because you are not responsible for the bugs and don't have to hunt them yourself. :)
But if you don't feel comfortable building the IDE and FPC don't do it, binaries are available. I just think that having the source and therefor the option to compile them myself is a great feature of both projects (or open source in general) which developers should be informed about early on as it helps in the long run. It is not as complicated as you seem to think.

R.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?