[Lazarus] Error in package installation

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 12:14:38 CEST 2010

Hi,

Although I'm a Lazarus beginner, I hope the following can be of use for
others who want to convert code and for the improvement of the converter in
Lazarus.

After having converted my Delphi 4 project with Lazarus 0.9.28.2 beta,
Lazarus could build a working executable, but an error message about
duplicate resource would show up when I ran my .exe file. The text below,
which I found on
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Code_Conversion_Guide#Converting_Delphi_p
rojects.2Fforms.2Funits_to_Lazarus, was helpful to solve the problem. I
manually edited the converted files according to the parts highlighted with
yellow below (hope that the yellow will be visible to all readers) and
deleted one of the two lines with {$i unitname.lrs} near the end of the .pas
file. Then I could build again and now my new .exe file runs without the
error message.

In the beginning, it was also a bit confusing that I could not see the unit
and form of the converted project, but had to click View.

Sven

Another method to convert a Delphi or Kylix project to Lazarus

*	Rename or copy all .dfm or .xfm files to .lfm (Early Delphi versions
do not produce a text-based .dfm file. The convert utility, if present in
the \bin folder can be used to covert the .dfm first))
*	Rename or copy .dpr file to .lpr
*	Make necessary changes to .lpr file:

1.	Add {$mode delphi}{$H+} or {$mode objfpc}{H+} directives
2.	Add 'Interfaces' to uses clause
3.	Comment out or delete {$R *.res} or directive

*	Make necessary changes to all .pas unit files:

1.	Add {$mode delphi}{$H+} or {$mode objfpc}{H+} directives
2.	Add 'LResources', and if the form has buttons, add 'Buttons' to uses
clause
3.	Comment out or delete {$R *.dfm} or {$R *.xfm} directive
4.	Add 'Initialization' section at the end of each unit file, and add
{$I unitname.lrs} directive in it

*	Select Project->New Project from file
*	Select the .lpr file
*	At 'Create a new project' window, choose 'Application'
*	Build project and make further necessary corrections to get proper
compilation, at this point the .lpi file is generated automaticaly. You may
also get 'Error reading Form' messages, click on 'Continue Loading' if you
do.
*	Save all, and you have a Lazarus project :-)