[Lazarus] TThread.WaitFor blocks the main event loop under Linux

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Oct 18 09:57:37 CEST 2010

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Michael Schnell wrote:

> On 10/12/2010 10:54 PM, Adem wrote:

>> Good.
>> Good.
>> Good.
>> Good.
>> Good.
>>
>>>   - current projects and "Delphi"-code will not benefit (but it of course
>>> will not need any modification)
>> That's good enough for me.
>> My hope/guess is...
>
> I was dreaming the Open Source Dream that everybody could use the best
> available code for a given purpose .

You still can.

> But I found that not only the open source Object language "Event Queue" code
> is forked in at least 7 different versions (Lazarus/Windows, Lazarus/KDE2,
> Lazarus/KDE3, Lazarus/Gnome, Lazarus/Mac, Lazarus/fpGUI, MSE)

Eh ?

How else can you do this ? Each widget system uses it's own mechanisms,
the LCL must somehow unify this, and they did. To remain delphi compatible,
they based the 'public interface' on the Windows mechanism. There was no
point in adding an additional layer in between.

That they succeeded in doing so is quite an achievement.

Martin doesn't care about Delphi compatibility. This is his decision, and
allows him more freedom in his choice of event system, and he has maximised
the options he had. You are free to prefer his code over the LCL.
Open source is about having the choice.
But, as the saying goes, choosing is losing.

Michael.