[Lazarus] Global dialog "file filters" feature + patch in mantis

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 16:14:59 CEST 2010

Op 2010-10-21 14:28, Martin het geskryf:

> I am very much with Vincent on the storage.
> And I do think the correct storage format is a major major point => once
> it's decided, it is in users xml files, it must be supported forever.....

Like I said, take a simple feature and over engineer it until it's really,
really complicated. No thanks!

* How many times have you change your IDE language settings?
* I've modified both file extensions and file filter names, so no you can't
  count on the extensions as a key in the XML file.

> if you want to disable a default
> <BarItem ID="pas"  Enabled="False">

* What if I added my own desciption for files *.pas
* What if I disabled a default option, and then later that default option
  gets removed from the IDE, now the XML file contains rubbish that needs
  to be clean-up up. So now we need periodic "check for xml cleanups" too.

Over engineering! My initial implementation was simple and to the point. If
you felt so bad about missing out on new default file filters or
translations, simply delete your customized xml file, and you get the
defaults with translations back. No periodic xml cleanup code. No
enable/disable rubbish in the xml file. No conflicts with names on file
masks when either defaults changes or end-user added. Can't get easier than
that!

If you want to go down that road, then start looking at the other simalar
issues in Lazarus IDE too. Lets take Code Templates as an example:

* The lazarus.dci file is a separate file, and not in one of the existing
  XML files.
* In never gets "auto updated" when the defaults changes.
* Descriptions don't get updated when I change my IDE language
* I can't disable default options, I have to simply delete them.
* etc, etc....

Nobody complained about that for the last 10 years!

The lazarus team are welcome to over engineer this simple feature to your
hearts content, or simply mark it as Won't Fix. I'm done with this. I
already waisted enough time on implementation and all these back-and-forth
messages.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/fpgui/