[Lazarus] Release schedule and policy

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 19:35:29 CEST 2010

I have FPC-2.4.0 (fpc.cfg is in /etc) installed on my Ubuntu 10.04
system, and use exclusively Lazarus SVN which I continuously update and
build from within the IDE without any issue. I tried to install FPC SVN:

I checked out the FPC trunk to ~/Programs/fpc/fpc-svn
mkdir ~/Programs/fpc/fpc-2.5.1
cd ~/Programs/fpc/fpc-svn
make clean all install INSTALL_PREFIX=~/Programs/fpc/fpc-2.5.1

It created in ~/Programs/fpc/fpc-2.5.1 the following directories:
     bin: fpc and fpcmkcfg executables are here
     lib/fpc/2.5.1 (contains ide, msg, and units directories as well as
ppc386 executable)
     share (contains doc directory)

cd ~/Programs/fpc/fpc-2.5.1/bin
fpcmkcfg > fpc.cfg
I added to the new fpc.cfg:
  -Fu~/Programs/fpc/fpc-2.5.1/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget
  -Fu~/Programs/fpc/fpc-2.5.1/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget/*
  -Fu~/Programs/fpc/fpc-2.5.1/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget/rtl

At this stage, I did not use the new fpc.cfg, but edited instead the old
fpc.cfg commenting out the old 3 -Fu lines and adding the new ones.

In terminal:
export PATH=~/Programs/fpc/fpc-2.5.1/lib/fpc/2.5.1:$PATH
export PATH=~/Programs/fpc/fpc-2.5.1/bin:$PATH

At this stage, fpc -v shows 2.5.1

I launched Lazarus from the terminal (so that the exported paths persist):
Lazarus env options:
Compiler path: ~/Programs/fpc/fpc-2.5.1/bin/fpc
FPC source directory: ~/Programs/fpc/fpc-svn/

I rebuilt the IDE which complained about lnet package not compiling and
asking if I should remove it and showed 2 buttons: Remove and Yes!!
(this is a bug).

I removed the package manually, and the IDE was built successfully
showing 2.5.1 in the About box.

The question remains how to handle the paths and fpc.cfg so that Lazarus
can use both FPC versions on demand (by changing the compiler path and
FPC source directory entries).

Stephano