[Lazarus] Lazarus IDE and fpc.cfg location

Vincent Snijders vincent.snijders at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 22:31:28 CEST 2010

2010/10/22 patspiper <patspiper at yahoo.com>:
> The FPC user manual states the compiler will look for a configuration file
> fpc.cfg in the following places:
> • Under UNIX (such as LINUX)
> 1. The current directory.
> 2. Your home directory, it looks for .fpc.cfg.
> 3. The directory specified in the environment variable PPC_CONFIG_PATH, and
> if it is
> not set, it will look in the etc directory above the compiler directory.
> (For instance, if the
> compiler is in /usr/local/bin, it will look in /usr/local/etc)
> 4. The directory /etc.
> • Under all other OSes:
> 1. The current directory.
> 2. If it is set, the directory specified in the environment variable
> PPC_CONFIG_PATH.
> 3. The directory where the compiler is.
>
> whereas the IDE looks in the following places:
> 1. $HOME/.fpc.cfg
> 2. compiler path + fpc.cfg
> 3. working directory + fpc.cfg
> 4. /etc/fpc.cfg (on Unix only)
>
> 1. Shouldn't the IDE follow what the FPC user manual states? In particular,
> compilerpath/../etc vs compilerpath

The IDE doesn't use the .fpc.cff, the called compiler does. So, it
does follow the FPC user manual as much as it can.

> 2. I tried to put fpc.cfg in the fpc binary directory, but the IDE did not
> detect it. Is that a bug?

Maybe, but then not in Lazarus, but in the compiler. Do you actually
use the fpc binary in the directory of fpc.cfg? Is that compiler set
in the environment options? Does it work if you use that compiler from
the command line yourself?

Vincent