[Lazarus] Release schedule and policy

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Oct 25 11:37:17 CEST 2010

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Op 2010-10-25 10:43, Michael Van Canneyt het geskryf:
>>
>> It's the code review after this/these command(s) that is really time consuming.
>
> I guess this is where the tiOPF project got it right with it's extensive
> test suite. Each new feature or fix is accompanied with one or more unit
> tests to prove that the patch does what it said it will do. A unit test to
> show the issue (the test should fail) is applied first. Then after the
> feature/patch is applied, that test should pass (including all the other
> previous tests too - obviously).

I just said 'it takes a lot of work', and you respond by making it
even more work ? :-)

> Unit testing a GUI application is considerably harder (but not impossible),
> but testing a framework like LCL is not that difficult.

To me, these statements sound contradictory, since LCL is a GUI framework ?

How can one test that setting
   MyLabel.Caption:='Some UTF8 string with weird characters';
will actually display the correct string ?

But it is beside the point. I do not believe that a testsuite will actually
make it less work to manage the patches.

Michael.