[Lazarus] Release schedule and policy

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Oct 25 17:45:44 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 02:27:04AM +1100, Alexander Klenin wrote:
> > errors in all the different installer information files from inno setup
> > to the home made DOS installer.
>
> I think you overrate importance of synchronized binary release
> for all platforms. I thin kit is ok to postpone release of
> binary packages for exotic and outdated architectures.

It's not that. With 2.4.2rc1 it was the major platforms that were late, not the
fringe ones. Logical, since e.g. OS X with 5 archs has the heaviest burden,
and Linux suffers from constantly changing packaging details. (even within
one distro, over half years-years time, libraries get renamed or splitted
etc)

> > Really? What do you miss in the compiler testsuite?
>
> First of all, I miss structure ;-)
> Is there any way to check if some feature is covered by a test?

Is there a list with features and codenames for them? But in general grep
goes a long way.

> For example, I would like to know if there is a test
> covering object initialization bug discussed yesterday --
> how do I proceed?

A "do what I think" button :-) ?  How would you formulate such a request?

A simple tagging system is probably doable, do you volunteer? Not only to
implement it, but tag the thousands of existing files?

In short, we don't need people that say what can be done, but people that
actually do things. Preferably without rearchitecting everything first.